AMCE has an urgent vacancy for an experienced, professionally registered Senior Structural Engineer to commence duties as soon as possible in Head Office (Midrand). The incumbent will act as a technical lead (Civils & Structural Division) in the delivery of all pertinent projects, and also play a key leadership role in ensuring projects’ compliance with relevant statutes and regulatory bodies. The position will report directly to the Manager: Civils & Structures.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The role is responsible for the technical delivery/output on projects in the Civils & Structures department and will also be involved in major relationship-building activities that will be necessary for AMCE to survive and prosper in rapidly changing, competitive, business environments.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Conduct various structural steel, reinforced concrete and timber structural designs of intermediate to advanced complexity
• Prepare or oversee the preparation of technical drawings.
• Prepare or oversee the preparation of reports relevant to design projects.
• Preparing or reviewing of construction tender documents.
• Undertaking site supervision and administration.
• Developing and fostering on-going relationships with clients.
• Providing project management skills and support in the structural project environment, including budgeting for design services and schedules.
• Ensure that all project deadlines are achieved on time.
• Compile bills of quantities, schedules and specifications.
• Monitoring and proactive coordination and of project progress and staff deliverables.
• Compile inception preliminary and detailed design report for Client approval.
• Compile fully populated project schedule (e.g., resources, task, dates, etc.).
• Conduct comprehensive construction stage monitoring, admin and financial functions.
• Set-up project budget baseline (revenue, cost of sales and gross profit margin)
• Responsible for budgeting and system improvement establishment.
• Ensure that project costs are constantly monitored and controlled so as to maximize profit potential.
• Ensure communication on regular basis to relevant staff on the status of the project/s.
• BSc Degree/equivalent in Civil/Structural Engineering (4 years)
• Professional Registration with ECSA (Non-negotiable)
• Project Management qualification or Pr CPM accreditation will be an added advantage.
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
• At least 5 years relevant post registration experience.
• Must have occupied a senior role in the past.
• Must have worked in multidisciplinary projects.
• Must have been involved in the preparations of Tenders in a Consulting Engineering Industry.
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS REQUIRED
• Strong Analytical & Critical thinking skills
• Innovative and constructive thinker
• Supervisory/leadership Skills
• Achievement Orientation (results orientated)
• Strong business acumen/Understanding of business risk drivers
• Excellent communication & negotiation skills
• High Client Service standards
• Conflict Resolution skills
• Problem Solving Skills
• Will be required to travel
• May deal with difficult clients & service providers
• May be required to work extra time